CGI and EOI Frequently Asked Question
Q1. What is an Indian Visa?
- Ans. An Indian visa is a stamp or endorsement placed by officials of India on a passport that allows the bearer to visit India. "Visit" is further defined as the reason for entry, usually business, tourist or transitory.
There are over 270 countries that offer visas and literally thousands of different types of visas available based upon country, type of visit, and length of visit.
Q2. What is the difference between a passport and an Indian visa?
- Ans. A passport is an official government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship. The passport serves purpose to regain entry to the country of citizenship and is a requirement by many countries to gain entry to the country you are visiting.
An Indian visa is an official government document that temporarily authorizes you to be in the country you are visiting. Many countries require a visa to gain entry. The visa usually is in the form of a stamp or a sticker in the passport and is obtained from the country you are visiting.
Q3. Why, do I need an Indian visa?
- Ans. If you are traveling to India, whether for business or tourism or any other purpose, you require a visa to be obtained as per the purpose of visit in advance of your trip. There are citizens of few countries who are not required to obtain prior entry visa due to bilateral understanding.
Q4. What is the difference between an Indian tourist and Indian business visa?
- Ans. A Tourist visa can only be granted to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives. No other activity is permissible on a Tourist Visa. The Tourist visa is non-extendable and non-convertible.
Business Visa is granted to a foreign national who wants to visit India to establish an industrial /business venture or to explore possibilities to set up industrial/business venture, or wants to purchase/sell industrial products in India. The Business Visa must be issued from the country of origin, or from the country of domicile of the foreigner provided the period of permanent residence of that applicant in that particular country is for more than 2 years.
Q5. How long is a visa valid?
- Ans. TOURIST VISA: Valid for 3 months to 5 years. 5 years visa is available only to US citizens under a bilateral arrangement depending on the decision of Consulate General Of India. Irrespective of the duration of validity of visa, on each visit maximum period of stay in India is limited to 6 months (180 days). Multiple entry visas are given to only for Residence of UAE, Validity of visa's and no of entries will be depending on the Consulate General of India, (Dubai) and Embassy of India, (Abu Dhabi), Non –Residence Cannot apply for Multiple Entry ,Pakistan National cannot apply for Tourist Visa ,Non –Residence of Pakistan National or Pakistan Origin cannot apply for any Kind of Visa.
Bangladesh National who applied from UAE. They not allowed to travel by road (whether from UAE OR Bangladesh), they should travel specified entry and exit point which is provided at time of submitting application.
BUSINESS VISA: Valid for minimum 6 months to 1 year upto 5 years with multiple entries. However, the period of stay in India (for each visit) under this category is limited to six months only. A letter from the sponsoring organization indicating nature of applicant's business, probable duration of stay, validity of visa, places and organizations to be visited and also a guarantee to meet maintenance expenses etc should accompany the application. Business visa valid for ten years with multiple entries is available to foreign businessmen who have set up or intend to set up joint ventures in India.
Q6. Is visa fee refundable?
- Ans. Visa fees are non-refundable and subject to change without notice.
Q7. After obtaining Indian visa, can I be prevented from landing in India?
- Ans. Granting of visa does not confer the right of entry to India and is subject to the discretion of the Immigration Authorities.
Q8. What types of Visas can be obtained to visit India and what are their requirements?
- Ans. Specific Visas are granted for a variety of purposes. The principal types of visa issued are mentioned below.
Tourist visa : Tourists wishing to visit India will normally be granted tourist visa. Tourist visa are non-extendable and non-convertible.
Business Visa: Business Visa are normally granted to individuals going to India in pursuance of bilateral agreements or joint venture projects having government approval or looking for new business opportunity.
Student Visa: Student Visa can be obtained on furnishing proof of admission to recognized University/Institutions in India.
Employment Visa: Employment Visa can also be obtained on furnishing of proof of employment with companies in India. It may however be noted that applications for employment visas are considered only for managerial/highly skilled jobs.
Transit Visa: Transit Visa are valid for halts of up to 72 hours in India within 15 days from the date of issue of the visa and must be obtained before departure. Transit Visa cannot be obtained from immigration counters at ports of entry in India. Evidence of onward travel to a destination outside India is required.
Please Note: Persons holding long term Visa (having validity exceeding 6 months) are normally not expected to stay in India for more than 6 months during each visit. For visits for a period longer than 6 months, the visa holder is required to register with the Foreigners' Registration Office (FRO)/Foreigner's Regional Registration Office (FRRO)
Please visit http://blsindiavisa-uae.com/ visa for more information on type of visa and its requirements.
Q9. If I have to register myself in India, where do I go and register?
- Ans. The registration is to be done at any Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) or at Foreigners cell at district police headquarters.
Q10. Can my visa be extended in India if I have to stay longer than required?
- Ans. If the visa is Entry visa ('X' category), Employment visa or Student's visa, it could be extended by the FRRO subject to local checks. However tourist Visa cannot be extended under any circumstances.
Q11. What documents are required to apply for a Tourist visa?
- Passport with minimum six months validity and two blank visa pages.
- Two recent photographs of the applicant.
- Photocopy of the ID page and visa page of the passport.
- Hotel reservation is optional.
- Besides the above some additional documents may be required depending on the type of visa applied for.
- For Minor Noc is required from both Parents
- Please contact our call center for further information.
Q12. In which language should the visa application form be filled?
Q13. After obtaining Indian visa is there is any time limit to enter in to India?
- Ans. No, there is no time limit to enter into India, however an Indian visa is valid from the date of issue of the visa and not from the date of arrival in India. One has to exit India on or before the specified time.
Q14. What is the transit visa procedure? And what is the time duration if the applicant is transiting (not exiting the airport) India?
- Ans. Transit visa is required only if a person is exiting the airport Or Work Related (Ship Crew, Private jet Crew etc.). Incase passenger is traveling through transit flights no need for transit visa Kindly contact airlines for transit visa.
Q15. Can a foreign national apply for an Indian visa and travel to India by using their handwritten passport?
- Ans. As per Consulate General of India, Dubai - Yes, foreign national can apply and travel to India with handwritten Passports.
As per Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi – Handwritten passports are not allowed for applying for visa and travelling to India, exception is Afghan nationals.
Q16. What are the restricted state's and areas for Pakistani national in India?
- Ans. Kerala, Punjab boundaries, and border of Country all of Nagaland, All of Sikkim, Part of Arunachal Pradesh, Part of Himachal Pradesh, Part of Jammu and Kashmir, Part of Manipur, Part of Mizoram, Part of Rajasthan, Part of Uttarakhand boundaries and borders of country.
Q17. Can a Non- resident in UAE apply for Business visa from UAE.
- Ans. No, non – resident in UAE cannot apply for business visa from UAE.
Q18. What will be the duration of Visa?
- Ans. Duration of visa and number of entries will be decided by the Consulate General of India, UAE Dubai/ Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi upon furnishing documents.
Q19. If I am applying for Tourist Visa, how long it will take to get the visa?
- Ans. For UAE nationals and applicants holding UAE resident Visa it will take 5 to 7 working days, whereas, for non-residents it will be considered as reference Case with no time limit.
Q20. While applying for visa is applicant's presence mandatory?
- Ans. Applicant's presence is not mandatory, company PRO can submit on behalf of the applicant, on showing his original PRO card. In case families going together father or mother can submit the application form on behalf of rest of family members.
Q21. Where we can apply for OCI?
Q22. What is the difference between tourist visa and entry visa if applicant is Indian origin?
- Ans. Tourist Visa: Tourist visa is granted to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives. No other activity is permissible on a Tourist Visa. The Tourist visa is non-extendable and non-convertible
Entry Visa: Entry Visa must be applied by the applicant who is Indian Origin and their purpose of visit is other than tourism purpose. Entry visa can be extended further from India, except Pakistan national, Pakistan national have to apply for entry visa only even if they are going for tourism purpose.